NOTE FROM THE GREENBELT FUND:
Final reminder to fill out our survey for the online distribution route map feasibility study!
Here at the Greenbelt Fund and Ontariofresh.ca, we continue to move forward with consultations around assessing the potential of offering an online tool to support the distribution of local food in Ontario. The tool will have a dual-purpose of improving local food distribution and increasing revenue for small-to-medium scale producers in Ontario.
Building on the solid foundation of the Ontariofresh.ca platform, we are interested in exploring how we can design a simple tool that would give Ontario’s producers the information and power to coordinate logistics from their farm to their buyers. The online space will be designed as a “Do It Yourself” or “DIY” logistics tool for producers and distributors. Producers and distributors would access an online community where information about route availability, distance and storage locations would be easily organized on an interactive real-time map and calendar.
We are looking for your thoughts on the model described above. Please take a look and comment on the various features we are proposing by completing a preliminary survey by EOD March 5th, 2015. We know this is a very short timeline, but your feedback is very valuable to us!
If you are not a buyer, seller or distributor, but your organization is supporting local food and agriculture in Ontario, please forward this survey on to your networks.
Communications and Program Manager
Greenbelt Fund, Ontariofresh.ca
After the deep, deep freeze of winter 2014-2015, we expect people will be very excited to celebrate the first harbinger of spring: maple syrup time!
Festivals begin this weekend and run through mid-April.
- 13th Annual Maple Syrup Festival / Festival du Sirop d’erable, École Saint-Dominique Savio in Owen Sound – Saturday, March 7, 10am to 2pm
- Rotary Maple Magic, Oxenden, Georgian Bluffs (near Wiarton) – Two weekends, Saturdays and Sundays March 21 & 22; March 28 & 29, 9am to 1pm
- Maple Sugar Moon Festival at Grey Roots Museum and Archives, Rockford (south of Owen Sound) – Saturday, March 28, 11am – 4pm
- Walter’s Falls Maple Fest, Walter’s Falls and area – Sunday, March 29, 9am to 2:30pm
- Saugeen Bluffs Maple Syrup Festival, Saugeen Bluffs Conservation Area near Paisley – Saturday, March 28 & Sunday, March 29, 10am to 4pm
- 5th Annual Kemble Maple Syrup Farm Tour, various locations in Georgian Bluffs – Saturday, April 11, 9am to 4pm
- 20th Annual Holstein Maplefest, Love’s Sugar Bush near Holstein – Saturday, April 11 & Sunday, April 12, 9am to 3pm
Click through the links above for additional event details.
For detailed descriptions all on one page, visit Grey County Tourism.
- Organic breakfast made with local products (crepes, eggs, ham, baked beans, blueberry sauce)
- Musicians – ARICO and Piyak Ootihi
- Horse-drawn wagon ride, Maple snow taffy, Snowshoeing, Vendors
- Activities from M’Wikwedong and the Metis Nation of Ontario, Ziisbaakdoke giizis – traditional Sugar Moon teachings
- Doors prizes (you must be present to win!)
Entry: 7$/adult, 5$/child or 20$/family
Location: Ecole Saint-Dominique-Savio, 800 23rd St. E., Owen Sound
See more about the Maple Syrup Festival 2015.
Georgian Dining Room International Dinner Series 2015
Come experience true international cuisine! Dinner service starts at 6:30pm.
- March 5th- Japan
- March 11th- South America
- March 18th- Thailand
- March 25th- Indonesia
- April 1st- Turtle Island
$45.00 (taxes included) For Reservations: 519-376-0840 ext.2007 or Michael.Desborough@georgiancollege.ca
Journey to Japan – Menu
Vegetarian and Non-alcoholic options available. Please Inquire.
- Hand-rolled Sushi with Chilled Sake - Marinated Sweet Potato Roll, Avocado and Cucumber Roll, Salmon Nigiri Sushi Served with Sake
- White Miso Soup - Traditional Japanese Soup, Broth with Tofu, Scallions and Miso Paste!
- Traditional Yakitori and Sukiyaki - Marinated Chicken Skewers And Stir-fried Beef, Served with Vegetable Tempura and a soba noodle salad
- Castella and Ice cream - Honey-Drizzled Sponge Cake with Green Tea Ice cream and poached cherry Compote